Recently, I’ve been very fixated on nutrition and fitness. I’ve begun to view food as fuel, and have opened my eyes to how everything; from our skin and hair, to our body composition, to our mental health; is largely affected by how and when we’re nourishing our bodies. Thus began my exploration into recreating my staple meals into high-protein and nutrient-rich recipes.
This quick and easy Superfoods + Protein Oatmeal is delicious and comforting but also packed with vitamins and antioxidants. It’s a perfect meal to kickstart your day on a health-conscious note. I recommend varying your toppings based on personal preference and nutritional needs. Happy cooking!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Calories: 300 – 400 (depending on toppings)
- ½ Cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 Cup water (or milk / alternative milk)
- ½ Banana sliced
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ Teaspoon cinnamon + ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Scoop of your favorite protein powder
- Chia seeds
- Bee pollen
- Sliced almonds or pecans
- Berries and/or sliced banana
- Raw honey, to taste
- In a pot, combine oats, banana slices and sea salt. Add water or milk, and stir to combine. Add cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Heat over medium-high heat until all the liquid has been absorbed (8 – 10 mins), stirring occasionally, to make sure that the banana slices melt into the oats. Tip: you’ll know the oatmeal is ready when all the liquid is absorbed, and the oats have a thick and fluffy consistency.
- Remove oatmeal from the heat, and stir in protein powder immediately, until smooth. If the consistency of the oatmeal becomes too thick, add a splash of water or milk.
- Serve with your favorite toppings! The toppings listed are all superfoods, loaded with nutritional benefits, but you can adjust them based on what you have around the house, or your personal preferences.
Notes: Veganize it!
To veganize this recipe, opt for either water or alternative milks (i.e. oatmilk, almond milk etc.). Choose a vegan protein powder (i.e. pea protein). You can omit the bee pollen topping, and substitute honey for agave. Enjoy!