December is such a great time of the year, a special time of fellowship with family and friends and all the joy that the Christmas season brings. Above all, it is the time we celebrate the first coming of Jesus Christ, our Lord, and Savior.
The Christmas holidays can also be a time of great sadness, with memories of lost loved ones and feelings of loneliness and alienation. Rates of depression and anxiety always increase during the holidays, and this year they are compounded by the disruptive and damaging lockdowns, social distancing, and financial burdens imposed on us.
If you are feeling overwhelmed by stress or struggling with anxiety or depression, we are here to offer you hope.
Balance Your Hormones
One of the most common but overlooked causes of anxiety and depression is hormone imbalances. Secreted in minute amounts by the thyroid, adrenals, ovaries, testes, and other glands, hormones have far-reaching effects throughout the body. And when your hormones are out of kilter, your physical, mental and emotional health may suffer.
- Thyroid Hormones: Thyroid hormones regulate metabolism and energy production. When levels are low (hypothyroidism), you may feel tired, sluggish, and depressed, along with other symptoms such as anxiety, weight gain, dry skin, and thinning hair. Hypothyroidism affects 10% of adults and 20% of older women, including many people who have been told their blood tests are normal. If these symptoms hit home, you need to come in for further evaluation. The “normal” range for thyroid tests is so broad as to be of little value. Anyway, how you feel is more important than your lab results, and compounded T3 and T4 thyroid replacement can make a world of difference.
- Estrogen & Progesterone: PMS, postpartum depression, fertility issues, menopause: All these conditions, which are accompanied by anxiety, depression, irritability, and other mood changes, are caused by imbalances or deficiencies in female hormones. Restoring balance with bioidentical hormones not only smooths out mood swings but also improves other symptoms such as bloating, weight gain, insomnia, and vaginal dryness. And unlike many popular hormone replacement drugs, compounded bioidentical estrogen and progesterone are safe and well-tolerated.
- Testosterone: Have you ever wondered why some men become irritable, withdrawn, depressed and downright grumpy as they get older? It could be due to the gradual age-related decline in testosterone. Testosterone replacement therapy has remarkably positive effects on mood, libido, confidence and outlook on life, not to mention weight, muscle tone and other markers of health. If you are a grumpy old man, you need to have your hormone levels tested.
- Adrenal Hormones: When your brain perceives any threat, physical or emotional, real or unreal, your adrenal glands release adrenaline and cortisol to get you ready for “fight or flight.” Unrelenting stress forces your adrenals to work overtime, and their ability to produce these critical hormones may become impaired. This is known as adrenal fatigue, and it is characterized by depression, anxiety, fatigue, brain fog and lower resistance to disease. The good news is that treatment with natural cortisol and other supportive therapies can boost adrenal function and reduce all these symptoms.
As you can see, hormones and resilience to the ill effects of stress go hand in hand. In-depth blood analysis picks up hormonal imbalances and deficiencies that are missed on the usual tests, paving the way for treatments that can dramatically improve depression and anxiety and turn your life around.
Stay Cool, Calm & Collected
Depression and anxiety aside, everyone gets overwhelmed from time to time. We all need to incorporate stress-reducing measures such as prayer, restful sleep, exercise, healthy eating and relaxing breaks in our daily lives.
A number of botanicals and other natural compounds also provide stress relief. Taking a timeout from your busy schedule with a cup of chamomile tea is an excellent de-stresser. Filling a room with the calming fragrance of lavender or another aromatherapy oil from a candle or diffuser can help you relax. Several supplements are also proven stress-busters:
- Full-Spectrum Hemp Oil: Cannabidiol (CBD) is a natural compound in hemp plants that has been shown to relieve stress and anxiety, promote relaxation and improve sleep. Some people are suspicious of CBD because they link it with marijuana. Let me reassure you that high-quality full-spectrum hemp oil contains no THC, the psychoactive company in marijuana. A good hemp oil product with therapeutic levels of CBD will not make you high. It will simply help you feel calmer and more relaxed. An added bonus: CBD also reduces pain and inflammation.
- Sleep Supplements: Several natural ingredients have been shown to reduce insomnia. The best-studied is melatonin, a hormone released by the pineal gland that promotes sleep. Other natural sleep aids include valerian root, an herb with a long history of use in traditional medicine; inositol, which reduces anxiety and helps tone down a busy mind that can keep you awake; and L-tryptophan, which improves both sleep and mood. Taken alone or in combination formulas, these natural ingredients are a safe and effective solution for insomnia.
Last but certainly not least, focus on the reason for the season. This is such a blessed time of year, the season for celebrating the birth of our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ, the King of Kings. Let us keep this first and foremost in our hearts and minds. This Christmas season, and every day, may Jesus Christ fill your life with joy.
Natural hormone replacement therapy has been a specialty of Hotze Health & Wellness Center for decades, and we have helped literally thousands of women and men regain their physical and emotional health with safe, effective bioidentical hormones. To learn more or schedule a Free Wellness Consultation—via telemedicine or at the Hotze Health & Wellness Center—call us at 281-698-8698 or visit hotzehwc.com. To order or learn more about Full-Spectrum Hemp Oil and sleep supplements, including Sleep Formula by Dr. Hotze, visit hotzevitamins.com or call 281-646-1659.